Thursday, January 29, 2009

Master Helio Gracie passes 1/29/09





It is with great sadness and loss that Peloton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu announces the passing of Grandmaster Helio Gracie.
At 95 years of age, the great icon and one of those most responsible for Jiu-Jitsu's success in Brazil and the world died this morning, at Beneficencia Portuguesa Hospital, in Petropolis, mountain region of Rio de Janeiro.
"I created a flag from the sport's dignity. I oversee the name of my family with affection and nerves of blood," said the Professor, as his last worlds.
The Master will be buried this Thursday afternoon, at 5 pm, at the Chapel of the Petropolis municipal cemetery.
Helio Gracie's last public appearance occurred in December of last year, during a belt-promotion ceremony held by Gracie Humaita at the Guanabara Yacht Club.

In October, Helio Gracie celebrated his 95th birthday at the Gracie Humaita academy, in Rio de Janeiro.
In one of his most famous interviews, published in the special 100th issue of GRACIEMAG, the professor had declared: "I've already told my sons that when I die I want there to be a party. No drinking, no debauchery."
We all are in mourning and express our condolences and sadness to the family, his wife Vera, sons Rorion, Relson, Rickson, Rolker, Royler, Royce, Rherica, Robin and Ricci.


Peloton BJJ/USA Jiu-Jitsu